Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Marlboro Lights up Spring Break



It really doesn't get much better than this in the world of non-traditional, subliminal, guerrilla marketing now does it?
I found this at jaffejuice, if he's not on your reader than he needs to be.
I love these marketing ideas. The narrator on the video is wrong. This is not taking advantage of kids at spring break. I seriously doubt it was intended to subliminally get drunken travelers to go buy a pack of smokes (ok maybe it was). However,It doesn't need to work like that, it only needs to be a good story. Just one student shaking their head on the dance floor notices this and it spreads like wildfire through the club, and once it's found it will be a tale that frat boys and coeds from all over will be singing when they get back on campus. It will be shared, and that's a win for anyone.
Of course the guy speaking on the video is full of it when he's speaking about the legal aspects of the lighting trick. I really don't see anyting illegal, but you tell me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

I'm the guy who's full of it who shot the video and narrated it.

Regarding whether this is brilliant 'above aboard' marketing that will generate word of mouth, I know for a fact that it is not. I ask ~15 kids when they came out of the club if they noticed the ad and not a single one had, though most everyone in the club as exposed to it.

Marlboro did not create this ad so it would be registered consciously and talked about. That's compete BS. You're giving them way to much credit.

You're right about the legal aspects of this however - it's totally kosher apparently.

I'm happy to hear a response back on my original post here:

http://www.advercation.com/2008/03/24/marlboro-subjects-spring-breakers-to-subliminal-advertising/

Thanks for taking notice.

Peter